If you haven't found an answer to your questions using the search, feel free to use the guides listed below for your academic needs.
Looking for professional essay writer? Try this service - they write essays, term papers and theses.
- Introduction paragraph tips
- Admission Land
- Personal Statement Writing
- MyDissertations.com - thesis writing services
If you want to use any of these manuals for online publishing, please make sure to include proper referencing.
Tips for Writing an Argumentative Essay on Drinking Age
Legal drinking age varies around the world, and there are strong opinions on both sides of the debate. The minimum drinking age in the United States is 21, while in many other Western countries, it is 18. Germany has some of the most relaxed drinking laws for minors, with 14 being the age at which minors can consume beverages such as beer and wine in the presence of a parent or guardian, and can do so alone at the age of 16, with 18 being the age at which they can have access to distilled liquor.
Let’s look at some of the arguments for and against a lower drinking age, because these can be applied to any essay on the topic.
Arguments for a lower drinking age:
- 18 year olds have the right to vote, get married, and serve in the military, and those even younger than 18 can drive and become parents. Therefore, it seems strange and contradictory for them to not be able to purchase alcohol.
- Making alcohol more accessible makes it less of a big deal. Less restriction and less control makes it less appealing and less of a thrill. It teaches them to drink responsibly and socially.
- In college environments, alcohol is readily available, and for those students that are underage, they are more likely to overdo it when they get their hands on alcohol because they can’t legitimately obtain it themselves.
- 18 is the age when an individual legally becomes an adult and assumes the rights and responsibilities of an adult. Therefore, the legal drinking age should be 18 or lower.
Arguments against a lower drinking age:
- It condones young people drinking and increases their chances of being involved in alcohol related incidents.
- Teenagers have less life experience and can be naïve and immature in their actions because of this, so it’s up to adults to protect them.
- The brain is still going through crucial developments in the teenage years that shouldn’t be interfered with, if at all possible.
- Having a higher drinking age clearly displays the seriousness of alcohol consumption.
In terms of the structure and purpose of an argumentative essay, you want to choose and clearly state your position on the issue and use facts, statistics, examples, and quotes to back it up, ultimately convincing the reader to take the same stance on the issue.