If you haven't found an answer to your questions using the search, feel free to use the guides listed below for your academic needs.
Looking for professional essay writer? Try this service - they write essays, term papers and theses.
- Introduction paragraph tips
- Admission Land
- Personal Statement Writing
- MyDissertations.com - thesis writing services
If you want to use any of these manuals for online publishing, please make sure to include proper referencing.
Article review writing tips
Writing an article review can be a challenging but interesting way to demonstrate your writing ability. If you're planning on writing one it might help to have a few tips, so here are some suggestions.
Read the article carefully and make sure you understand exactly what the author is saying. Make notes about the following points:
- Does the author state an argument or thesis that the article then discusses?
- Does the article seem objective or is the author obviously pushing their own opinion? If the latter, how do you think this has affected the conclusion? It might be worth checking to see if there is any important information that the article has missed out.
- Does the article make a valuable contribution to the topic you're studying, or is it just a summary of other material? Does the author provide any analysis and, if so, what value does it add?
- Is the article supported by references? If so are these primary or secondary sources?
- If the author has provided references and analysis do you think these support the conclusion they have reached?
- Has the article changed your mind about anything?
Next, develop an outline for your review. This should contain at least an introduction, a discussion section and a conclusion. You may also want to introduce your own thesis about the article and discuss that. The minimum needed for a good review is this:
- Introduction - You should identify the article by its date, author and where it was published. Give a short, one or two sentence summary of it. Then explain what you are going to look at. If you decide to add a thesis it should go at the end of the introduction.
- Discussion - Because you're writing a review it's important not to just summarize the information in the article. The notes you made while reading it will allow you to give your opinion of how the article deals with the subject matter, and whether or not it's valuable. Be objective even if the article's author did not.
- Conclusion - Sum up what you thought of the article and its value. This should be one short paragraph.
It's always a good idea to find some sample article reviews to give you an idea of the best way to go about it. You can find plenty of these online, and they will help you work out the best way to structure and write your own review.